Coffee Award Winning Chili & Cornbread with Bourbon Honey Butter
Ampersand Award Winning Chili:
2 slices peppered bacon
1 medium yellow onion -diced
1 pound 90% lean ground beef
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons Roasted Coffee Rub
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
2 (16 oz.) can chili beans (with flavor)
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1. Add the olive oil to a large soup pot and place it over medium-high heat for two minutes. Add bacon & cook for 3 min then add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the ground beef to the pot. Break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chili powder, cumin, coffee rub, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
4. Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained beans, and tomato sauce. Stir well.
5. Bring the liquid to a low boil. Then, reduce the heat (low to medium-low) to gently simmer the chili, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove the pot from the heat. Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
1 cup Vanilla Maple EVOO
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Sea Salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/4 cups fine cornmeal
2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, cream oil and sugar. Add the eggs and salt and mix until combined. Add the buttermilk and mix until thoroughly combined. Next, add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix to incorporate.
3. Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake until golden. This will be different for every oven. START checking it for doneness at 25 minutes and bake longer until golden if needed (up to 35 minutes)
4. Serve warm with butter and honey.
Whipped Bourbon Honey Butter:
1 cup butter
1/3 cup Bourbon Honey
1. whip butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
2. add honey and salt. continue to whip until combined. Enjoy!